Thursday, December 23, 2010

Peaceful Chaos

Clutter makes me feel frustrated. When the house is out of order, I feel out of order.
But it used to be much, much worse. I used to clean every day (several times a day) just in case someone might stop by unexpectedly. If there were dirty dishes or if toys were scattered everywhere, I felt like a bad mom/wife.
But somehow that has all changed since moving to Florida. Maybe it's because people don't really just stop by here, or maybe it's the fact that I have more kids now who keep me too busy to worry about it? It could be all of those reasons, but I'd like to think that I've just let go a little bit and have decided to ease the pressure off myself. I'd also like to think that I have become more laid back and would rather spend time playing with the kids rather than cleaning up after the kids.
Whatever the reasons, if you would have just "popped in" today, this is what you would have seen.

unmade movie watching bed

kitchen table artfully littered with hologram stickers, baby doll, snacks, and crayons

cones from a creative game of bowling
and
dominoes used to build a tower

early morning cartoons
fire house pulled out from boys' room to be used as a doll house
games played over and over again on top of t.v.

books that made me laugh so hard tears were coming down
books that made boys laugh because Mom was laughing
socks used to warm feet and then removed because the feet were too warm

another table full of crafts

artwork hung in a very artful way
(This does make me cringe...but I'll deal with it.)

Josiah's perspective:
stockings that have already been filled, much to the delight of the junior photographer

What was once Jay's piano has suddenly become Josiah's. And the lid never closes anymore because those little 5 year old fingers stop and play about once every hour.

Josiah has been looking out this window all day, waiting for me to let him play with the neighbor boys.
But during this Christmas break, I want my kids with me making messes and lots of memories!

Now, if you call ahead, I'll most likely spiffy up the place a bit. But if you decide to not give any notice, come in and we'll make a craft together. :)



6 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

It looks perfect to me.

As We Are said...

Amy, this was one of my favorite posts that you have ever done. I just love how fun your house looks. You are such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tamra, this is a beautiful post. Oh how I wish I could come make a craft with you!

Now, how is it that your pictures of "mess" seem adorable and meaningful. I think you made a giant revelation - look at the mess according to what it was for. A destroyed room also means many kids played well together for a long time, pretending, sharing, and having fun.

Seriously, I am adopting this into my way of dealing with the perpetual messes!

Merry Christmas, love you all! Oh, and Happy Anniversary (2 days late!)

Lindsey said...

Love this post! I'm glad we've learned to ease up on ourselves and our families in our old age. LOL I forgot to wish you a happy anniversary...sorry! Merry Christmas to you all!

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

Well, I'm known to all my friends at the neat freak, but I had a friend do a stop by the other day, and let me tell you, she found a much messier house than yours!! And I just delighted in it because I try to tell people that we can be very messy, but when I know people are coming, I always tidy up, so it never seems like we are messy. Anyways, I am embracing mess more and more too. Love you!

Marcy Faye Hallden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.